The Nursery specialist will be responsible for the management and production of nursery plants required to produce the planting material needed for an innovative community based renewable energy project. Specifically, he/she will be required to:
- Set up the nursery sites and recommend appropriate nursery equipment and materials
- Set up nursery greenhouse and ensure that the nursery site adheres to the most modern nursery operations available in Ghana.
- Source for parent material of the following crops: Napier Grasses, Ginger, Sweet Potatoes and Avocadoes
- Ensure timely acquisition of these materials and their safe transport to the nursery site
- Support the procurement of nursery inputs such as substrates, PPEs, nursery accessories etc.
- Manages the labour that will be required to support nursery operations such as filling of polybags with substrates, seeding and regular watering
- Responsible for digital recording of all day-to day nursery operations on a technology platform using mobile devices
- Adhere to all Good Agricultural Practices regarding nursery production and ensure the planting material produced is free of diseases, insect infestation and of any noxious material
- Produce all required planting material in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Establish and document policies and procedures that produce high quality planting material
- Provide accurate and timely feedback and reports to senior management on the operations at the nursery site
- Develop metrics to measure and manage the performance and effectiveness of the nursery procedures established.
- 3-6 years’ experience in agricultural nursery management with particular interest in crops produced under vegetative propagation methods
- A minimum of advanced diploma in Agriculture with specialization in crop or horticulture. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated field experience in the following crops: Ginger, Avocado, Sweet Potatoes and Grasses or generally good knowledge of root & tubers, rhizome-based crops, tree crops or horticultural crops.
- Creative, intellectually curious and an original thinker
- Process driven – the ends do not always justify the means for you
- Quantitative – data makes you giddy
- Empathetic leader – your EQ is as high as your IQ
- Passionate about working in a business with strong social impact
- Passionate about innovative technology and ability to use android based Apps with good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Experience managing farm labour in a rural setting is desired
- Have a consultative approach to problem solving for clients
- Born of the soil and have strong interest in sustainable agriculture
- Ability and wiliness to live and work in farming community.
- Ability to speak excellent English and Akan
We actively promote diversity, creativity, and professionalism in the workplace. To learn more about the company, visit www.esoko.com
To apply, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org